Pages

Upgrading Samsung Galaxy S to Froyo 2.2

Samsung Galaxy S has started receiving the upgrade to the famous froyo 2.2. However, the release is rolled out in phases and you might be the unlucky one to not get an upgrade as yet. However, using the following simple hack you can now upgrade your Samang Galaxy S easily.
Before we start ensure that you have downloaded Samsung Kies version 1.5.1.10074_45 or something that is not the latest, you will need to uninstall the latest then install this one.

1. Connect your phone and let Kies detect the device as usual.

2. Keep Kies open, minimize it and run regedit in windows.

3. Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB\

4. You should see some folders, named 1,2,3 etc in that folder, look for the one that mentions your current firmware, IMEI number, etc.

5. Once you find the correct folder (only one folder mentions this information), you need to modify 3 strings by simply double-clicking on them.

6. Locate the following 3 entries and change their value to the ones shown below. (You may first like to backup their value data to a notepad file).
SoftwareRevision = I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3
ProductCode = GT-I9000HKDXEE
HIDSWVER = I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3
Now close the Registry editor and do a Refresh. So, while Kies is minimized and still open and connected to your phone, you have changed these 3 strings.

7. Click on ‘Firmware Upgrade’ button in Kies, and you should now see Kies saying there is one upgrade for JP6.
Now wait and let the upgrade process to complete.

 Once installed you will have Android 2.2 or Froyo on Samsung Galaxy S.